As the warmth of summer shifts into the cooler, more comfortable days of fall here in New Jersey, your HVAC system is making its own shifts to accommodate changes in the demands you place on it. Performing crucial fall maintenance can ensure your system is able to perform at peak functionality during the cold winter months ahead.
We’ve compiled a fall HVAC maintenance checklist every homeowner should consider utilizing this fall:
- Change your filters. While replacing your HVAC filters is a year-round task necessary for optimal performance, switching off your air conditioning is a great reminder to do so before you switch on your furnace. A dirty air filter can hamper airflow, reducing efficiency, and putting a strain on your system.
- Clean your registers and ducts. Another source of dust and debris in your system are the very ducts and registers your heated or cooled air flows through. Take a few minutes this fall to clean your registers and remove any debris that may have fallen into the ductwork below.
- Clear the areas surrounding your HVAC elements. Take a moment to inspect your exterior air conditioning unit as well as your furnace. Clear all brush, leaves, and other debris away from the outdoor unit and cover it if desired. Similarly, clear all combustible materials away from your furnace unit and ensure registers are not blocked by furniture or other items.
- Replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector. This annual task is best done each year before you switch your furnace on for the winter. Ensuring your family remains safe from deadly carbon monoxide gas in the event of a serious fault in your aging furnace is a top-priority task each fall.
- Schedule a professional inspection. While the above tasks are essential to your fall HVAC performance and achievable on your own, many systems need additional maintenance to perform their best over the long winter ahead. Schedule a professional inspection for your furnace in the fall to ensure its safety and performance this winter.
Whether you need regular HVAC maintenance, fall maintenance for your heating system, furnace repair, or even a new heating system for your central New Jersey home, contact R Poust, Inc. Our expert technicians can ensure your HVAC system performs as it should all winter long, keeping you comfortable and saving you money in the process.