In spring focus on freshening up your home and protecting your property against the season’s strong winds and rain.
- Clean gutters and downspouts. Learn how to maintain your gutters.
- Inspect roof and chimney for cracks and damage.
- Touch up peeling or damaging paint. Watch videos for ideas on troubleshooting exterior paint problems.
- Wash all windows, inside and out.
- Install screens on windows and doors.
- Clean outdoor furniture and air out cushions.
- Service your lawn mower.
- Fertilize your lawn.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you set your clocks forward.
- If your basement has a sump pump, test it by dumping a large bucket of water into the basin of the sump pump. This should activate the sump pump. If it does not switch on or if it’s not pumping water, it may need to be serviced by a professional. Also, check for and remove any debris and make sure there are no leaks.
- Wash and change seasonal bedding.
- Dust blinds and vacuum curtains throughout your home.
- Clean kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Throw away outdated food, cleaning products, medicine, and cosmetics.
- Inspect attic fan to make sure there are no animal nests and test properly.
- Have air conditioner outside professionally inspected.
- Test whole home generator for proper function
- Test panel circuit breakers.